Tuesday, May 22, 2007

SFX Vocation Retreat: Testimonial & Thanksgiving


+ JMJ

It has been a while since I returned from the Major Seminary Vocation Retreat, here's a short testimonial and thanksgiving letter:

Praised be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the beloved!

Father Rector, William Goh, mentioned in his first talk during the retreat that there must have been an impetus- divine or otherwise- that made all of us sign up for and attend the retreat. I think he is very right. Thorugh the illumination of the Holy Spirit, we have been blessed with the Lord's sanctifying grace; making us worthy spend an entire weekend basking in His presence.

Faithful readers of this blog, Deo Juvante, and Holy Vocations, would know my impetus for signing up for the retreat; so I shan't dwell on it here...

I've visited the Major Seminary, the Redemptorist Seminary, as well as the Carmelite Friar's Monestary on several occassions. Each time, it is a sense of peace and belonging. The fraternal warmth and charity displayed by both the brothers and formators have made my stays very pleasant. Time and time again as I vist the Seminary, I feel a sense of affirmation and belonging. How many people are likely to feel the same? I mean, being 'isolated' in the forests of Ponggol.

Before the retreat as I was discerning the chrisms, I didn't know if what appealed to me was due to my personal want(s) or desire(s), or if it was something that God wanted. It has been hard for me to discern between what God wants and what I am so attracted to personally. Therefore, it was by providence that Fr. William Goh shared some information that allayed some of my confusion(s) and mixed feelings.

After the retreat, I was affirmed that (those who read my post 'Fiat Volunta Tua' would have come across the following quote) "the priesthood is not for us or for our personal satisfaction and delight. Rather, it is for the service of the Church and souls: God calls men to be priests so that he will be able to make himself present "in the flesh" in the Eucharist for all who need him. He makes men priests so that all who need their sins forgiven can go to them and be cleansed of their sins. He makes men priests so that the sick can be strengthened with the Sacraments, so that his word will be preached, so that people will receive hope and be renewed through their work and service... He makes priests so that the poor and abandoned may be administered to.

Therefore, I shouln't let my own emotions get in the way of my discernment.

I would like to thank:

To quote Dominic Hutt (one of the retreatants) in his testimony, may we all someday "sing praises and walk through those seminary doors".

Amen. So I hope. So may it be.


Pro Eccelesia et Pontifice,
J-PDM
St. Rita of Cascia

Labels: , , , , , , ,


Comments:
Which one is you? It's a great turnout. May God bless us with many vocations.

I see Msgr Vaz in the photo. He came for the novena for the Cathedral's Feast Day in Penang and gave wonderful homilies. He's a great preacher.

Did you meet any of the Penang seminarians?
 
Let's say I'm the one in white.... ;) I'm in the last row, make a guess.

Msgr Vaz is a charismatic preacher indeed. Fr. Goh, the Seminary Rector, is also a gifted preacher.

I met several Malaysian Seminarians, mostly from the Archdiocese of KL. Didn't meet any from Penang.
 
Perhaps becos there are none? =)
The way the Bishop is leading the diocese...sigh...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]