Sunday, July 1, 2007

Confession: St. Mary of the Angels

This morning, I took 2 of my female cousins- 11 and 13 respectively- to the Franciscan Church of St. Mary of the Angels, Bukit Batok. Both of them had not been attending Sunday Mass regularly because of their parents lack of enthusiasm for Church and peer pressure to attend Protestant services at the Church of Singapore, Bukit Timah. Recently, they have been asking me to take them to Mass.

On the way to the parish, I explained to them to importance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation, the importance of participating in Sunday Mass, and the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Their confessor was Assistant Parish Priest, Rev. Fr. Joseph Nasanathan. Both came out of the confessional with tears welling from their eyes (Fr. had packets of tissues in hand!). Fr. Joseph, spent approximately 10-15 minutes with each of them. Overall, I felt that their first confession was indeed a grace filled one; with clear and decisive rejection of the sins committed, out of their love for God.

As I reflect on the homily by Fr. Jivan Daniel (more of a Gospel reflection; Fr. Daniel wasn't feeling too well), the selection of hymns, and the scripture passages, I can clearly see the gracious hand of God in this matter. Praise Him!

Now on another matter, as I was waiting for my cousins in the Parish Office, Parish Priest Fr. John-Paul Tan approached me and struck up a conservation. We chatted as if we'd known one another rather well; he thought that I was his parishioner. Being a Canon Lawyer, he was excited to know that I was taking legal studies myself. He wanted me to form a group of Catholic Students in my diploma course for application to the Catholic Lawyers Guild!

One thing I found great about St. Mary's was that their priests do not 'run away' after Mass but stay behind and mingle with the faithful. I think our parishes need to have more of such interection to make Catholics feel more welcomed and at home and give them a sense of belonging.

LiturgyPlus!: Fr. Daniel incenses the gifts in the old cross-circular fashion.

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]