Sunday, July 8, 2007

The Examen

The Examen or Examination of Conscience is a daily prayerful reflection on our service of God that can be made before the recitation of the Night Office or before retiring for the day.

The Examen comes in two parts: The General Examen and the Particular Examen.

The general examen, as the name implies, is a general overview of my moral behavior during the past day. We must assume that our conduct has been both praiseworthy and blameworthy. We should also look forward to the next day and prepare ourselves beforehand on how we should do God's will in the immediate future that awaits us.

The particular examen of conscience follows logically on the general examen. Some are more prone to pride than to lust. Some are more prone to anger than to greed. Some are more prone to envy than to sloth. In fact, each one of us changes from time to time in what failure of our moral conduct is dominant, depending on the circumstances and persons who enter our lives.

The particular examen concentrates on coping with the predominant moral weakness of our own personality.

Below is a prayer I composed. For each of the five wounds of Christ and the elevation of the Cross, we reflect on our obligations to God and to Man. The title Heart to God, Hand to Man- the motto of the Salvation Army- reminds us that our actions must always be two pronged.

HEART TO GOD, HAND TO MAN
(For Private Use)

1) General Examen: Thanksgiving, Failures, Resolutions

[Thank the Lord for the graces He has given to us, whether pleasant or painful]

BEHOLD, O kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight. With deep affection and grief of soul, I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate Thy crucifixion.

For the times I have failed to keep thy passion in my mind and ignored the cries of my neighbors, Lord Jesus, thy hallowed crown was pierced.

For the times I failed to lift my hands to thee in worship and refused to lend assistance to my neighbors, Lord Jesus, thy sacred palms were pierced.

For the times I failed to love thee and my neighbors as thou hast commanded, Lord Jesus, thy precious side was opened.

For the times I failed to live the life of Christian poverty- by being tempted by material possessions- and not coming to the aid of my neighbors, Lord Jesus, thy linen was stripped away.

For the times I walked away from thee or from my needy neighbors, Lord Jesus, thy anointed feet were pierced.

For the times I failed to live a life of humility, Lord Jesus, thou went through the greatest mock trial and was crucified on Calvary

I BESEECH Thee therefore, my sweet Lord Jesus Christ to grant that thy Passion may be to me a power by which I may be strengthened, protected, and defended. May thy five sacred wounds be to me food and drink, by which I may be nourished, inebriated, and overjoyed. May the sprinkling of Thy Blood be to me the washing of my sins. May Thy death prove to me life eternal. Thy cross be to me an everlasting glory. In these be my refreshment, my joy, my preservation, and sweetness of heart. Who livest and reignest for ever and ever. Amen.

2) Particular Examem: Predominant Tendencies

[Examine predominant moral weaknesses in your own personality]

3) Concluding: Supplication for Grace and Salvation

[ALL: Confeitor* V/ Miseratur**… R/ Amen]

*Note: Any one of the formulas (Rites A, B, C i-viii) given in the Missal may be used.

Some Formularies


References

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]